I always like to experience something new on the Full moon each month and as this is the final moon for the year 2014 and winter is soon upon us bringing different changes and challeneges to our daily life I thought I would offer up this excellent scentful recipe.
According to my research there were 4 or 5 (depending on the source info on the net )Thieves who decided they would help themselves to other peoples belongings at the height of the "plague" This group of essential oils was mixed then diluted in a base oil for them to apply to their bodies and it prevented them from catching the big bad plague germs.
There was also an added bonus to this mixture it smells divine. I found the recipe at Mountain Rose"s blog. In case you are not aware they have a amazing collection of herbs,spices essential oils and more in a wonderful online store and you can purchase the EO's to create your own 4 Thieves oil blend to help clean , heal and brighten up your home.
This is directly from their blog and here is the store address
- 40 drops organic Clove Bud essential oil
- 35 drops organic Lemon essential oil
- 20 drops organic Cinnamon Bark essential oil
- 15 drops organic Eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops organic Rosemary essential oil
Mix all essential oils together in a dark glass bottle.
This essential oil blend is very strong and must be diluted! The essential oil content should only account for 1 to 2% of the total formula. This means that up to 6-12 drops of essential oil can be added per 1 oz of carrier oil or other menstruum. For more information about diluting essential oils, please refer to our Dilutions & Conversions Guide
There are many ways that you can use the blend, here are some of the most common applications:
– To sanitize and purify the air in your home or workplace, place 2-3 drops of the essential oil blend in a diffuser, nebulizer, or in a pot of simmering water on the stove. Diffuse for approximately 20-30 minutes. This is especially beneficial if someone in your home or workplace is sick.
– Make an antibacterial all-purpose spray for cleaning and disinfecting your home or workplace. This is perfect for office spaces and shared areas! Fill a spray bottle with water and add the essential oil blend at a 1-2 % dilution rate. Spray on counter tops, desks, and on other surfaces. Make sure to shake before using as the oil and water will naturally separate.
– Use a 1-2% dilution rate of the essential oil blend in a base of water or alcohol, and spray onto insect bites, poison oak, and poison ivy rashes to help reduce inflammation, itching, and irritation.
– Mix the essential oil blend at a 1-2% dilution rate with organic Jojoba or Olive oil. Use as a massage oil for sore muscles, the lower back, neck, and feet. It can also be dabbed on skin throughout the day for general cold and flu prevention and immune support.
– When congested, mix a 1-2% dilution rate of the essential oil blend with organic Jojoba or Olive oil, and rub under the nose or on the chest. Or, place 1-2 drops in a bowl of hot, steaming water and inhale the vapors under a towel to relieve congestion.
Happy Full Moon