I was inspired by a beaded and sequined 1920’s dress on Antiques Roadshow. It was the second time I’d seen that episode, and I liked the dress as much or more than the first time. I thought it would be fun to do a miniature dress on ____ (?) with some of my “extensive” sequin collection. Stitching was the first considered approach, but the size of the sequins in relation to the size of our October space and therefore the dress, told me that would be overkill. Too much structure, overworked. Been there before….
I’m not really sure how the end result finally came about. I decided to do some This month, thankfully!, the trajectory from idea to end result was less wobbly.
testing, and the testing pretty much turned into the finished product. I used a piece of water color paper that had been printed with the photograph I used in our February Little Altars spot (the Olympics from Ebey’s Landing). I covered it with Glass Bead Gel (a new product for me) that I mixed with Iridescent Gold Acrylic. (In making this, the end product always looked gold to me, but standing upright, it is definitely defined as much by the blue photo background as it is by the gold on top.)
I decided that gluing the sequins on, randomly, would actually get me the effect I wanted. I really like what happened, although, once again, my husband is a little dismayed, and questioned why he was finding sequins all around the house. (They stick to you!!)
I thought that Cyn’s wee folk might want to party fancy once in a while, so this is a gossamer and transparent little party dress! It’ll keep them up to mischief, even if a little chilly at this time of year!